As I was talking about different ways of getting a hangover, I decided to have a look at the real consumption of alcohol in some European countries. Here are the results.
Alcohol consumption per capita
Units: Liters of pure alcohol per adult (15 years and older)
Interesting results, that is, no way of getting a particular trend, each country seems to behave differently.
- Contries below the European average (year 2003):
Finland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden
- Contries below the European average (year 1963):
Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, UK
- Contries above the European average (year 2003):
France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Spain, UK
- Contries above the European average (year 1963):
France, Germany, Italy, Spain
- The strongest drinkers in 2003 were the Irish (13.7), while in 1963 the French really beat everybody (24.3).
- The weakest one in 2003 were the Swedes (6.0), while in 1963 the Finnish had almost nothing to drink (3.1).